Monday, May 4, 2009

Crumbs

Leaving that place, Jesus withdrew to the region of Tyre and Sidon. A Canaanite woman from that vicinity came to him, crying out, "Lord, Son of David, have mercy on me! My daughter is suffering terribly from demon-possession."
Jesus did not answer a word. So his disciples came to him and urged him, "Send her away, for she keeps crying out after us."
He answered, "I was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel."
The woman came and knelt before him. "Lord, help me!" she said.
He replied, "It is not right to take the children's bread and toss it to their dogs."
"Yes, Lord," she said, "but even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their masters' table."
Then Jesus answered, "Woman, you have great faith! Your request is granted." And her daughter was healed from that very hour.
-Matthew 15:21-28


On the whole Pre-destination, election topics/theology... I don’t have a formed opinion. I haven’t looked into it enough, thought about it much. I don’t necessarily think it’s something that’s extremely important to know, other than just agreeing that God is in control.

When I look at that passage though about the Canaanite women, it always gives me hope. Jesus was telling her “I didn’t come for you. I was sent only to Israel. You’re a dog. I’m feeding only my children.” Yet she still kept crying out, she knew Jesus could heal her daughter, she knew He was capable, if only he chose to. Her faith that He could, and her persistence in asking finally won out. Even though Jesus was sent only to Israel, he still granted her request.

I guess for me this makes me go, even if God has specific people chosen to be saved and ones chosen not to, he’s not going to turn down somebody who seeks his face. This doesn’t go against predestination in my opinion, since you could argue that anyone who he hasn’t chosen, won’t seek him. Therefore, no one who hasn’t been appointed beforehand will turn to Him with a right heart, because only God can change hearts...

Maybe I’m making sense, maybe I’m not. I feel like I’m just rambling. I just wanted to say that. It’s been on my mind.

No comments: