Thursday, March 5, 2009

Ordinary Day

This is a post I've been thinking about for a while, and have had mostly written for several weeks. It seems presentable, so I'm going to go ahead and post it.

I was once talking with a friend about a song titled “How to Save a Life.” The song is actually more about the regret of not being able to say just the right thing and magically save somebody. Anyways, to the point. My friend commented on the fact that it would be neat to have God use you to the extent of impacting somebody in such a way that it saved their life. Spiritual life, that is. And no, that was not the phrasing used, just the general idea that I remember.

It occurred to me then that this friend had impacted my life in such a way that God used it to help me turn to him, when I was ready to give up and walk away. I hadn't told her that until the day we had this conversation. It had been several months, at least, since God had used her in that way. Yet I hadn't said thanks...

“Ordinary Day” by ZOEgirl. Talks about God being in the crazy, difficult ordinary days. There's a line that says something about seeing a stranger, and how he must be an angel because he smiled when he walked by. The implication is that this stranger made the hectic day just a little better.

I don't thank my friends often enough. For being there, for laughing with me, for loving me. And on the occasion that God greatly uses a friend to teach me something, too often I forget to go to them and say that what they said that day changed me.

God has continually used my friends to stretch me, to show me things, and to remind me of His love. Every change in me I can point and say it was triggered by a friend.

So, for that, thank you. You are all awesome, and I love you.
-Mary

No comments: