Saturday, September 20, 2008

Pike

During hurricane Ike a tree fell from our yard, into the neighbor's yard. Luckily no damage was done to their house. We had some people chop it up, but had them leave it there. Dad figured it would be better for us to haul it to the curb where the city would pick it up than for him to pay them to do that. He gave us kids the choice, though, of either doing it as a chore on Saturday morning, or doing other chores in the morning and doing that in the afternoon for a little bit of money. Dad gave us that last option because he would have payed much more to pay the tree people to do it.

So, naturally, all of us kids jumped on the chance to earn some money. I didn't jump quite as much, but I figured, "what could it hurt? It's not like I have anything else to do today."

So we worked from 1 until 4:50 on that tree. By the end, I decided he had to have a name, and I thought maybe it should go along with the hurricane that moved him. But not the same... So I was working off of "Ike" and thought; "Silk" then I thought, "but he pokes me a lot" (*glances at scrapes on arms* he really did) So then I thought "Pike! It's perfect; Poke, Ike, put them together... and besides, pikes are pokey!" I was thinking of the weapon pike, btw.

After that, I decided to call the tree Pike. When I mentioned that to Daniel and Camila, they didn't like the idea that I had come up with the name. They went back and forth with other names, then Camila suddenly realized how fitting Pike was, and got excited. With that done, we were nearly done working anyways.

We made seven piles of Pike, and still have a bunch of log pieces left, but we'll deal with those another day. (Piles... that goes with the Poke, Ike, and Pike thing! =D )

As I'm sitting here listening to my family in the kitchen, my right forearm is stinging slightly, due to when my arm got trapped under a heavy log when I put it on the pile, and my shoulders and neck are hurting from the lifting and moving and stuff. I attempted to do as much with my legs as I could, but sometimes that didn't work. So now I ask myself, "Was it worth it?"

Yes.

I'm tired, and it was more work than I'd consider worth the money...(I can always babysit and get the money much easier) but the money wasn't my main concern. First, it needed to get done. Second, working outside and doing hard work, it's satisfying. I knew those when I started, so according to my original thoughts it was worth it.

But that's not why I say it was worth it. What made the whole thing worthwhile was that all three of us kids worked, and didn't fight. Some complaining did start happening, but that wasn't too bad. I was just so thankful to God that it went well. Normally during work times there's arguments and people not wanting to work, but this time that didn't happen.

That's why I say it was worth it, for the time of agreement with my siblings.

1 comment:

LeftistArtist said...

Hey...very funny. It was good to see ya last Friday! Hope you're doing fabulous and if not fabulous, then maybe fabulous-ish!