Sunday, December 23, 2007

Mixed Langauges

"Hey! No quit my jacket!"

Now, the quit may seem like the give up kind of quit, but it's really pronounced "Kit" and it's a tense of the verb Quitar. Spanish for take off, I believe. It may also mean cut, not positive. But either way, it's used for things like "quitar your shoes" and such. The quote above was Daniel's response when I pulled off my jacket from the chair he was leaning against. He turned around, saw it was my jacket and not his, and apologized. You may not realize it, but that's a big improvement. Used to be you'd never hear a sorry coming from him unless it was forced, or if he was doing something like saying sorry and then bumping into you. (I think he was getting it confused with excuse me...)


What's the point of all that? Simply this, I was observing today how mixed our speech is around here, and how I accept it as normal.


I didn't even blink when he said that, I understood him and didn't think anything of it. It wasn't until later that it dawned on me that unless you know spanish it might have been a little confusing. Daniel and Camila use quit a lot, and also lo. Which means it. So they'll say things like "give me lo" or "throw lo." There's probably other spanish words that they mix into their speech, but none of them come into mind.



So, that's just my little thought of the day. =)

No comments: